October 10, 1923: 2BD Aberdeen begins broadcasting

2BD was a local radio station opened on October 10, 1923 in Aberdeen, Scotland, by the British Broadcasting Company (later to become the British Broadcasting Corporation). Operating from a studio at the rear of a shop belonging to Aberdeen Electrical Engineering at 17 Belmont Street and a transmitter located on the premises of the Aberdeen Steam Laundry Company, the station broadcast on a frequency of 606 kHz (495 m) medium wave.

In May 1925, 2BD’s premises were extended to take in number 15 Belmont Street; however, in 1926 the “Geneva Frequency Plan” cut the number of available wavelengths by 50%. 2BD’s frequency was changed to 610 kHz (491.8 m) with effect from November 14, 1926 and then a month later – because of the interference caused by 2BD having to share a frequency with the BBC’s Birmingham station, 5IT – to 600 kHz (500 m). In time, the Aberdeen station, along with other local Scottish transmitters, was replaced by a Scottish Regional Programme covering most of the country on a single high-power medium-wave frequency, while a long-wave transmitter (sited first at Chelmsford, then Daventry, and finally at Droitwich) was powerful enough to provide a National Programme audible throughout most of the United Kingdom, and “2BD” was last heard from in 1929.

September 28, 1923: Radio Times Issue 1

The Radio Times

The Official Organ of the BBC

On September 28, 1923 the first issue of the BBC’s Radio Times was published.  It contained radio schedule for the week Sunday September 30 to Saturday October 6, 1923.

Radio Times Issue 1 (1923), cover
Radio Times Issue 1 (1923), cover

The BBC published listings for the following radio stations:

The listing page for Sunday 30, 1923 looked like this:

Radio Times Issue 1 (1923), example listings page
Radio Times Issue 1 (1923), example listings page

February 13, 1923: 5WA Cardiff begins broadcasting

5WA Cardiff was a radio service which began broadcasting on February 13, 1923 and ended on May 28, 1923.

At 5pm on February 23, 1923, 5WA Cardiff, a forerunner of BBC Radio Wales, first broadcast from a music shop at 19 Castle Street in Cardiff city centre. Later that evening at 9.30pm Mostyn Thomas, sang Dafydd y Garreg Wen, which was the first Welsh language song to be broadcast. A commemorative plaque records the event. [Wikipedia]

October 10, 1923: 2BD Aberdeen begins broadcasting

2BD was a local radio station opened on October 10, 1923 in Aberdeen, Scotland, by the British Broadcasting Company (later to become the British Broadcasting Corporation). Operating from a studio at the rear of a shop belonging to Aberdeen Electrical Engineering at 17 Belmont Street and a transmitter located on the premises of the Aberdeen Steam Laundry Company, the station broadcast on a frequency of 606 kHz (495 m) medium wave.

In May 1925, 2BD’s premises were extended to take in number 15 Belmont Street; however, in 1926 the “Geneva Frequency Plan” cut the number of available wavelengths by 50%. 2BD’s frequency was changed to 610 kHz (491.8 m) with effect from 14 November 1926 and then a month later – because of the interference caused by 2BD having to share a frequency with the BBC’s Birmingham station, 5IT – to 600 kHz (500 m). In time, the Aberdeen station, along with other local Scottish transmitters, was replaced by a Scottish Regional Programme covering most of the country on a single high-power medium-wave frequency, while a long-wave transmitter (sited first at Chelmsford, then Daventry, and finally at Droitwich) was powerful enough to provide a National Programme audible throughout most of the United Kingdom, and “2BD” was last heard from in 1929.