2BD was a local radio station opened on October 10, 1923 in Aberdeen, Scotland, by the British Broadcasting Company (later to become the British Broadcasting Corporation). Operating from a studio at the rear of a shop belonging to Aberdeen Electrical Engineering at 17 Belmont Street and a transmitter located on the premises of the Aberdeen Steam Laundry Company, the station broadcast on a frequency of 606 kHz (495 m) medium wave.
In May 1925, 2BD’s premises were extended to take in number 15 Belmont Street; however, in 1926 the “Geneva Frequency Plan” cut the number of available wavelengths by 50%. 2BD’s frequency was changed to 610 kHz (491.8 m) with effect from 14 November 1926 and then a month later – because of the interference caused by 2BD having to share a frequency with the BBC’s Birmingham station, 5IT – to 600 kHz (500 m). In time, the Aberdeen station, along with other local Scottish transmitters, was replaced by a Scottish Regional Programme covering most of the country on a single high-power medium-wave frequency, while a long-wave transmitter (sited first at Chelmsford, then Daventry, and finally at Droitwich) was powerful enough to provide a National Programme audible throughout most of the United Kingdom, and “2BD” was last heard from in 1929.